Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

DIY FRIdays, How to Sew Bean Bags (the throwing type)

This week I really wanted to do a DIY tutorial on something to do with Marbles, but unfortunately I can't afford the material I need for the something special I'm thinking of. Do stay tuned though because come payday you know where I'll be heading! Yep straight to my favourite...um more like the only fabric store in town.

What we do have today is a tutorial on an other oldie but goodie... the humble bean bag! (The one you throw, not sit on) Why? Because
check out the box of scrap kiddy fabrics I was lucky to receive from one of our neighbours! It's flannel and not really good for much other than maybe pillow slips. Also the last batch of bean bags I made have been missing in action for a few months now, collecting dust behind the furniture I suspect. Anyway enough with the waffling, let's get straight to it!





Playing it Old School's DIY FRIday Bean Bag Tutorial

What you will need

  • Sewing machine
  • scissors and rotary blade cutter  
  • Cutting mat
  • Measuring tape or preferably a quilter's ruler
  • Iron and ironing board
  • Matching thread
  • Something to fill your bean bags with, rice, small beans, popcorn kernels, barely or wheat grains, not flour
  • Light weight non-stretch fabric, cotton, polyester etc



 First bring your fabric to the ironing board and fold it over so the folded area measures 5.5 inches. 


 Take your iron and press your fabric so that it will stay folded at 5.5 inches


 Using a rotary blade cutter and ruler cut across the 5.5 inch length and then make cuts across at every 4 inches so you end up with a folded piece that is 5.5 inches long and 4 inches wide.See photo below.


Fold the fabric over so that right sides are facing. Set sewing machine to straight stitch and stitch along one side with about a 1/4 inch seam. Keep sewing and after you've finished one feed through another so you end up with one long chain of bean bags. Cut the bean bags from each other and then sew the other side just like you did the first side.

 

 Cut each bean bag from the chain and turn them inside out. Use a pointy thing like the end of a pencil, skewer or a paint brush like I am and poke the corners out.


Take all your bags now  back to the ironing board. Fold the open end over about 1/2 inch and then iron in place. It's a good idea to iron the whole bag flat now.


Take them all back to the sewing machine where you will stuff them and sew them shut. For my bean bags I am using the beans on the left. I have chosen to fill each bean bag with two small handfuls of the beans. You could, if you want, weigh out your filling so that each bag weighs the same, but I am not that fussy. Really you can make your bags as heavy or as light, but not too light, as you like. Just don't over fill otherwise you will find it tricky to sew shut.


 Last step is to then stitch across the open end, making sure you go over the edges so there are absolutely no gaps, especially important if you use rice as rice can sneak out of even the smallest hole. Trust me I've learnt that the hard way!



And there you have it! I've made 7 bean bag for about $3.00 AUD or less. I'll let you know how to use them in play in the up coming posts! 


Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you get to give this a go. Send us some photos of your bean bags if you get to make some.
Happy playing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment